The saying goes, “April showers bring May flowers.” At Matter we prefer, “April pitches bring May features.” OK, maybe I made that up… but it works, right?
April will be filled with plenty of newsjacking opportunities from tax season and ongoing vaccinations for our financial and healthcare clients to the Oscars and upcoming holidays like Mother’s Day, Memorial Day and Father’s Day for our consumer friends.
Whichever beat applies to you, here are the media moves from the past month to keep in mind as spring settles in:
- Owen Thomas joined Protocol as a senior editor covering enterprise and financial technology after five years as business editor at the San Francisco Chronicle.
- Rachel Louise Ensign will be covering wealth for The Wall Street Journal where she previously reported on banking and Bank of America.
- The Points Guy added three new staff members: Juan G. Ruiz as credit card editor, David Slotnick as a senior airline reporter and Stella J. Shon as a credit card reporter.
- Danielle Walker is the new finance features reporter for Insider, covering in-depth stories on Wall Street’s most powerful firms and people.
- Noam N. Levey joined Kaiser Health News as a D.C.-based senior correspondent after 18 years as a national healthcare reporter at the Los Angeles Times.
- ProPublica added Jenny Deam to the staff covering healthcare. She comes from the Houston Chronicle where she covered medicine and healthcare for five years.
- Bloomberg News promoted two team members — previously a senior reporter on the health team, Michelle Fay Cortez moved to Hong Kong to be an editor on the health and consumer team. Anna Edney was promoted to national healthcare reporter in D.C.
- Christina Vogt has been named senior associate editor for Everyday Health after serving as a managing editor at HMP Global and overseeing content creation and strategy for Neurology Learning Network.
- Erica Teichert has been promoted to managing editor, digital, at Modern Healthcare after being a news editor on the site since 2017.
- Liz Chow was named editor of “The Daily,” the successful New York Times podcast.
- Tim Chan comes to Billboard Magazine as director of commerce after five years with Penske Media.
- Entertainment Weekly announced two editor changes — Mary Margaret has been named editor-in-chief, making her the first female top editor at the magazine. Additionally, Dan Wakeford expanded his role at Meredith as editorial director at Entertainment Weekly.
- INSIDER added Zack O’Malley Greenburg as a longform features writer after a decade at Forbes, most recently as the senior editor of media and entertainment.
- Axios tapped Stephen Totilo to be gaming editor ahead of launching its new gaming newsletter later this spring. He formerly led gaming site, Kotaku, for 12 years as editor in chief.