The last month of the year can go by in a blink of an eye. There are holiday parties, gift swaps, happy hours, and oh yes end of year pitching and reporting. Here are a few quick tips to keep you and your teams on track through the end of the year.
Tips for EOY Reporting
- Start reporting as early as possible. What items can be pulled together before the end of the quarter? What metrics do you have ready to go? Put them all in one place so you can pull reports together more easily.
- If you are waiting on final metrics, start with an outline. When managers or clients see an outline first they can give you feedback on what they expect the final deliverable to be. Also, make sure to refresh your ideas if you are working with a client for a consecutive number of years, do not just deliver what you have always done.
- Make sure you and your managers are on the same page when it comes to timing. When will they be able to review required deliverables? When should you have that delivered to them?
- Over communicate internally and externally. Make sure you are on the same page as your team members and your clients. Reminders that you need a report or that you will be out of the office for a day need to be said early and often. Schedules can be crazy this time of year so make sure everyone is in sync.
Tips for EOY Pitching
- Keep a consistent media relations drumbeat. There is no need to over pitch and certainly no need to stop pitching because it is the end of the year.
- Refresh your media assets to start 2019 with a fresh outlook. Revamp media lists and identify new contacts for the start of the year. Make sure your databases are up to date so you can hit the ground running come January.
- Get creative with your pitches this season. Not every company can have a holiday gift guide pitch because it won’t relate to their industry. Healthcare companies might choose to pitch around cold and flu season or stress during this time of year, and tech companies should consider compiling 2019 predictions for the year ahead.
- Give reporters content “wrapped in a bow” for the week between Christmas and New Year’s. Your present to a reporter this season may be fine tuned copy and a high-res image.
Tips for Easing into 2019
- Always keep an eye towards 2019. If your end of year pitches aren’t receiving any bites, then take this time to try to place long-term contributed content. If they can pencil you in for March, then that is a win to add to your content calendar. Also, take this time to refresh company and CEO profiles for evergreen content that’s always a win.
- Are your clients heading to NRF or CES? These major trade shows happen right at the start of 2019 and the planning takes place far in advance. However, those last minute details are sure to sneak up on some. Remember to be on top of these dates and stay in close communication with your internal team and client.
- Subscribe to our blog! Click that button below for more helpful tips sent right to your inbox once a week.