Twitter has begun testing its newest feature — super follow — which allows creators to provide subscription-only content. Users will pay a monthly price to “super follow” their favorite accounts and will gain access to additional and exclusive content.
According to The Verge, creators can charge $2.99, $4.99 or $9.99 per super follow, and will receive 97% of all earnings until they reach $50,000. Once they meet this threshold, they’ll receive 80% of all earnings. Still not that bad!
While any user will be allowed to super follow their favorite accounts, not every user will have the ability to offer this feature. In fact, you’ll have to apply. In order to be eligible to have super followers, you’ll need to have a minimum of 10k followers, be at least 18 years old, live in the U.S., have posted at least 25 times in the last 30 days, and a few other key requirements. So, as funny as your account may be, you probably won’t qualify — even if you did go viral that one time.
The benefits for creators are obvious, but what does this mean for your brand?
- Exclusive Content: You can charge for content for the first time. With exclusive content comes exclusive company announcements, events, webinars and promotions.
- Discounts and Special Promos: You can offer exclusive deals solely to your super followers. Any loyal brand follower who uses their product/service enough will find themselves gaining a return on their investment — as long as they take advantage of these deals!
- Newsletters: You can begin to turn your brand’s newsletter into exclusive content, which could potentially build more buzz – people want what they can’t have!
- Community: Your can now build a community around loyal and devoted customers/audiences. It’s likely that brands will be more motivated to connect with their super followers knowing they are 100% engaged.
To make the most of this moment, check out our best practices to adapt
- 1. Create valuable content. If not, super-followers will disengage, which will hurt your business and counteract your efforts.
- 2. Thoroughly and authentically engage with your community. If they’re paying for your brand content, they’ll expect far more than they get from your standard posts.
- 3. Keep a close eye on your metrics. Whenever adding new features into your strategy, always remember to track its performance!
While this is new to the marketing world, it could potentially be the building block for an entire new strategy. Create content wisely!
This move is major for Twitter and for social media in general. In Twitter’s attempt to keep up with other fast-moving platforms, we’re wondering if they’ll sink or swim. I guess that depends on if Instagram releases their own version first.
Looking to see how your brand can incorporate a super follower strategy into your social media strategy? Reach out below and one of our social media masters will be in touch!