As a new face to a new role and title here at Matter, I thought I’d write my first blog post stating the obvious. Well, I should rephrase that: write my first blog post stating what’s obvious to me, the Video Production Specialist, in regards to videos and social media. I will give it to you short and simple, after a few selling points:
- 17M connected their account to at least one social site (Facebook, Twitter, Orkut, Buzz, etc.)
- >12M auto-share to at least one social network
- 150 years of YouTube video watched/day on Facebook (2.5x YOY)
- >500 tweets/minute contain YouTube links (3x YOY)
- An auto-shared tweet results in 6 new youtube.com sessions on average
- 100M users take a social action (likes, shares, comments, etc) every week
- >1/2 of YouTube videos have been rated or includes comments
Videos are 53 times more likely than text pages to appear on the first page of search results. – Forrester
Month over month growth rate for video traffic referral by source:
- Facebook: 40%
- Twitter: 38%
- Yahoo: 35%
- Google: 15%
- Bing: 3%
Video has become one of the most effective ways to motivate people towards certain behaviors. Video is a highly effective persuasion techonology. – Dr. BJ Fogg, director of Standford’s Persuasive Technology Lab.
So how do you capitalize on this wealth of eyeballs? Follow this simple Video Social Media Checklist:
- After you’ve uploaded your video to the video platform(s) of choice (at least YouTube), use your metadata. Having complete titles, descriptions, and tags will make it easier for your videos to be found in the first place.
- Enable social sharing buttons in players
- Enable embed codes for sharing
- Embed and/or annotate clickable calls to action
- Promote sharing at video completion
- Review performance
- Repeat – create and upload more videos!
Please share some of your video social media success stories in the comments below!
Sources: http://www.youtube.com/t/press_statistics, http://www.slideshare.net/ReelSEO/social-video-marketing-strategies-for-great-social-video