Over the coming weeks, we’ll be sharing six tactics you should consider employing to adapt your marketing programs to our new remote world. Welcome! Today is Part I, Leveraging Video as Part of the Marketing Funnel.
#1. Transition to Virtual Events
With in-person events and conferences no longer an option in the current environment, consider launching a digital conference, webinar or meet-up. Virtual events are a great way to connect with your audience and expand your customer base. Here are some best practices:
- Have a compelling topic that will add value to the audience. Just like any event or conference, the quality of the content is what attracts an audience.
- Surround the event with a high-impact landing page that houses relevant content and conversation.
- Invest in a smart pre- and post-event digital promotional campaign to drive attendees and maximize leads after the event. Our campaigns will typically leverage a combination of social media, digital advertising, PR and SEO.
#2. Launch a Thought Leadership Series
39% of C-suite execs and decision-makers said thought leadership content had influenced them to ask a vendor to participate in the RFP process, and 47% said such content had a direct impact on awarding business. (source)
Your audience still wants to hear from you, and video is a high-impact way to connect with your audience in a time when face-to-face connections are critical. A well-planned thought leadership video from the brand C-Suite or subject matter experts can be highly valuable components of the demand gen process. Here are a few tips to make your thought leadership work for you:
- The most critical success factor is to provide insights that help your audience. The content must be engaging and help them think differently, work differently, or offer a perspective on a relevant topic.
- Your content should be on brand and on strategy. Your thought leadership, while coming from a leader’s perspective, also reflects on the brand. It is important to ensure the messaging, tone, and visuals represent not only leadership, but the company as well.
- Highly-stylized videos can be impactful, but are not a requirement. Some of the best thought leadership videos are simple, direct, short, and demonstrate consumable POVs without high-priced production. A simple 60-second iPhone video commenting on a relevant topic can be highly impactful and more likely to be consumed.
- Consider expanding beyond the standard one-person speech to include a dialog format with key customers or partners. The best thought leadership topics spark conversation, and getting customers and partners engaged builds valuable credibility and support.
- Do not overlook the importance of promoting the content to drive views and the importance of ensuring you have a complete lead gen funnel to capitalize on those that show interest. This is critical!
#3. Launch a Podcast Series
As of 2020, more than half of US consumers over the age of 12 listen to podcasts.
Now is the time to consider leveraging this popular media vehicle to communicate to, and engage with, your audience. Podcasts are an effective tool to position yourself as a subject matter expert while connecting with your audience on a regular basis. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Pick a theme that is relevant to your audience/customers – and don’t sell! Podcasts are for educational or entertainment purposes. Leave the selling for further down the funnel.
- Create a content calendar. Map out each episode with a topic that ladders back to your core theme, otherwise listeners may lose interest.
- Have a POV and establish it early in the podcast. 80% of listeners listen to all or most of each podcast episode, so engaging them early will increase the likelihood of them finishing the episode and returning for the next one.
- Talk with them, not at them. Establish a social media channel connected to the podcast to engage with the audience for follow-up questions, comments, or to receive suggestions for new episode topics.
- Make sure you have the right set up. From the quality of the sound equipment, to the editing software, to where you’re recording, make sure you have a plan. Podcasting has never been easier — read this article for tips to launch your first podcast.
#4. Up Your Virtual Selling Game
With travel restrictions, reduction of conferences and events, and lack of in-person meetings, companies need to quickly pivot their marketing and sales strategies to optimize lead generation despite the new constraints. How do you connect with your prospects as effectively and seamlessly as possible in the digital age? Are you fully leveraging digital tools that can enhance your one-to-one selling?
Here are a few things to consumer to up your virtual selling game:
- Maximize the one-on-one meeting experience. Make yourself visible on video, but in doing so, have a dedicated set-up or location with a simple but professional background, dress professionally, be fully engaged in the meeting, and minimize distractions (i.e. kids playing in the background, cats wandering across your keyboard, and minimize distractible objects or things in the background).
- Deliver a personalized experience for prospects with longer buying cycles. Setting up a personalized landing page has never been easier. Populate them with a presentation, relevant content, and tools that help the prospect.
- Leverage engaging interactive tools. This is a great way to help your prospect visualize the impact you can have on their business. A simple interactive quiz or interactive explainer tool can offer up customized solutions and engage them in conversation.
- Launch a targeted digital lead gen program to attract new customers and prospects. Through paid social and other paid advertising, you can target the right audience with the right message. With a targeted list of prospects, creating look-a-like audiences can extend your prospect list to attract similar customers not currently on your radar.
We are all adapting to the new normal and finding ways to connect with our audience. These quick tips can help you consider new ways to reach your customers and drive more sales. Fill out the form below and let’s connect on your marketing strategy.